The "Jefferson Star" was largely the voice of the Whig party in Jefferson County, and was published until 1865, when it merged with another newspaper.
Samuel McElhose was the second superintendent of schools in Jefferson County, having been appointed in 1856 to fill the vacancy of Rev. Wagaman, whose term was to
expire in 1857. In 1857 and 1860, Mr. McElhose was then elected to continue in the post and voted a salary of $550 per year. During this time he opened what he called schools for teachers in the Academy building in
Punxsutawney, and held the first teachers institute in the county. He enlisted in the army about June of 1863, and died August 16, 1863. He is buried in the old graveyard in Brookville. (from "Jefferson County, Pennsylvania,
Her Pioneers and People, 1800 - 1915")